Friday, March 21, 2008

Hi! I'm Norda...

I am also Heather's cousin, and I am so excited she started this blog! Exercise and nutrition are two things that are very important to my husband and I, and I love hearing other's ideas and tips that work for them! I also have my fair share of "secrets" or whatever you want to call what works for me! Right now I am almost six months pregnant with our second child and so I am on the 'gaining weight on purpose plan'. But I am due in early July, and can't wait to get myself back in shape again! I predict (if this pregnancy is like the last one) I will need to lose about 45-50 pounds. That is about how much I think I will gain. According to the books that's way over the suggested limit for my size, but I think those are unrealistic gains for me, especially since my last baby was 9 pounds 2 ounces!

I did want to put in my two cents on what I did/do to stay healthy. Last pregnancy I had a month where I gained 11 pounds, and it was then that I started looking more seriously at what I eat. My husband acquired a booklet from a chiropracteor he met on his mission, and asked me to read it. I was blown away, I LOVED what it said, and I followed the guidelines from then on in that pregnancy. So, I SWEAR by it for sure, just because I got relatively fast, relatively easy results. (Okay exercise isn't always easy, but when I look back, it wasn't that bad) So I googled this booklet and found nothing, so I don't think it was officially published, but I don't know. It's only 11 pages long, so I am going to share the hilights with you. It's called ACHIEVING AND MAINTAINING A HEALTHY BODY COMPOSITION (Dr. Steven E. Clark, Chiropractor)

The first thing he talks about is making the decision to change. "If you truly wish to change your body and your health, you must realize that you're going to have to change your mind first. You must decide to change first. Even the best information will not help you achieve a desired goal if the decision to achieve that goal has not taken place."

I was really motivated by that - it's so true! He goes on to say, "You can do it!!" That is one reason why I am excited for this blog. The extra support and motivation from other's setting and achieving goals is inspiring and motivating (at least for me!) Luckily I am married to someone who also values the importance of a healthy body and lifestyle - I think that is one reason it was easy for me to make changes, I have had the support. Seriously my sugar intake has gone WAY down since I've been married (as my husband's of course has gone up). Anyway, back to the matter at hand....

The author talks about

1. Identifying why you want to change (health reasons, looking better, better example for your kids, etc.) writing them down, and reading them frequently so you can stay motivated and focused.

2. He suggests doing the "before and after" pictures, and making specific goals. (I'm going to lose x amount of pounds and gain x amount of muscle, I'm going to look good in a swim suit, etc.)

3. Write down any current habits that could keep you from succeeding. (Skipping breakfast, eating while watching tv, fast food, candy, etc.)

4. Write down new habits that you realize you must develop to reach your goal. (Specific eating guidelines, exercise routines, see below)

5. Share goals with others for support! Avoid negative people (people who are threatened by your changes who might hold you back).

Specifics

1. Eat six times a day. Three meals, three snacks. Our bodies are the result of millions of years of evolution. Only very, very recently have we had the luxury of a virtually unlimitied food supply. Our bodies are hard-wired to ensure our survival in the case of a famine, and those people who were able to store the most body fat had the best chance of surviving. One of the biggest mistakes you can make is to go on a low-calorie diet. Your body thinks you are starving, and will slow your metabolism down as a survival mechanism. When you do eat the food will promptly be stored as fat. If you do manage to lose weight with this approach, much of the loss will be from muscle. (The less muscle you have, the less calories it takes for you to survive.) When you give in and start eating your previous amount, the regained weight will be a higher percentage of fat than when you started. Now with less muscle and a slower metabolism you will need to restrict even more calories, and again, lose more muscle. This is known as the "yo-yo dieting", and it is the worst possible strategy you can use.

Instead, lose the concept of "dieting" and adopt the mindset of properly nourishing your body. The six feedings a day tell your body that "everything's ok, there's plenty of food". This approach also helps keep your blood sugar levels steady - a critically important point. The practice of always consuming quality protein when you eat carbs also help regulate your blood sugar.

Diabetics know all about regulating blood sugar. It's a good idea to learn the GI (glycemic index) and GL (glycemic load) of common foods. This will help you understand which foods will cause the biggest swings in your blood sugar. These are the foods you want to avoid altogether or at least keep to a minimum. (If I do want something sweet, I always eat it after a meal or when there's plenty of protein in my stomach, so as to avoid the spike in blood sugar)

At this point he goes into detail about all the different food groups. Instead I will give the list he gives at the end:

THE GOOD (majority of your intake)

Proteins: Fish (fresh or canned in water), chicken breast, turkey breast, venison, lean beef or pork, whey/casein protein powders, beans + brown rice, shellfish, non-fat yogurt, non-fat cottage cheese

Carbs: Raw or lightly cooked vegetables (frozen veggies are fine), whole grains, brown rice, fresh fruit in moderation

Fats: Fish oil, olive oil, flaxseed oil, borage oil, primrose oil, avocados, nuts, seeds, natural peanut and nut butters in moderation

THE BAD (ok in moderation)

Proteins: Dark chicken or turkey meat, fattier cuts of beef, pork, lamb, cultured soy products (miso, tempeh, natto and shoyu or tamari soy sauce), 2% or whole milk products, cheese

Carbs: White potatoes, whole-grain pastas, whole-grain cereals

Fats: Canola oil, butter, animal fats

THE UGLY (never)

Proteins: Fried, fatty meats (hamburgers, breaded, deep-fried meat or fish of any kind), soy protein

Carbs: White flour products, white rice, sugar, sugary cereals, cookies, cakes, or pastries

Fats: Any and all fats and oils containing trans-fatty acids (margarine, shortening, cooking oils, hydrogenated and partially hydrogenated oils, and any foods made with them...read section on fats) WARNING: These fats are in almost all processed foods! Read the label!

2. Schedule 3-6 hours per week for exercise - both aerobic and resistence exercise. (That's only 2-5% of your waking hours! That's it!) 30 minutes three times a week aerobic, 30 minutes resistence three times a week to start out. Add more of course if you want to! By the way, gaining muscle is GOOD! Some women don't like the idea of weight training because they are afraid of getting too bulky. Men gain muscle size when they lift weights because they have testosterone. Women have such small amounts of testosterone that weight training will help shape and tone your muscles better than any other method.

3. Stay hydrated! Sodas and fruit juices don't count. Your body is 2/3 water and many of your body's functions depend on proper hydration. The average person needs 64 oz (8 cups) per day. If you are active you need more. Drinking water will help your body get rid of toxins and help your fat loss efforts considerably. As bodyfat breaks down for energy, you will be releasing toxins into your bloodstream; as most toxins you ingest are stored as fat. Don't undermine your efforts by not getting enough water!

4. No-No's: Eating carbs by themselves causes a large rise in your blood sugar, especially simple or refined carbs. Complex carbs cause a lower insulin response, but should still be eaten with a quality protein. Protein slows the absorption of the carbs into the bloodstream, thereby moderating your body's insulin response.

Eating simple carbs by themselves (most sugary, processed foods, white bread, sugary cereals, etc.) will stop your fat-loss efforts. Other types of eating that will stop your fat-loss efforts:
  • Eating simple carbs and fats (especially "bad" fats) together in one feeding. Examples would be pastries, ice cream, white bread or rolls with butter, french fries, or any type of deep-fried food.
  • Eating too many calories at one sitting, especially "bad" fat calories.
  • Eating a high-carb or large meal before going to bed.

So as much as possible, avoid simple carbs, saturated fats, simple carbs and fats together, and high-calorie meals of all types. And try to include a serving of quality protein with each meal or nack. The goal is to keep your blood sugar levels as even as possible.

What happens in your mind will determine what happens in the rest of your body!

Okay, I hope that all made sense. Sorry this was so long! If anyone has questions, I'm sure I could find the answer in the stuff that I left out. I was surprised he put soy as a 'never' item, but he says why, so if anyone eats soy, comment and I will explain. Also, obviously I am human, and I do still splurge on crap. I didn't do this stuff as strict as it suggests, but the little that I did incorporate, did make a difference in how I felt and looked. Happy healthy-ness everyone!

3 comments:

  1. Norda great stuff! I've printed it out so I can read it better tonight when I'm not getting interrupted.

    I had invited you earlier but with the 'iamnorda' email address.

    Hey - is there anyone else on the family website who might want to be a part of this blog?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is great information. I am also going to print it out and read it more thoroughly. Thanks, so much, for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Norda! This info is really good.

    ReplyDelete